October Speaking Events
On October 2, Mr. Bissey will address attendees of the Indianapolis Regional HCC Conference on the topic of “Benchmarking Compliance Programs” from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. The session will focus on compliance effectiveness benchmarking, budgeting and planning processes to achieving best practice.
During the presentation, Mr. Bissey will help attendees:
- Understand the differences and similarities between benchmarking and effectiveness.
- Learn techniques and tools to measure identified areas of your compliance program to assist in the benchmarking process.
- Learn techniques to “sell” your benchmarking efforts to your leadership and board.
On October 9, Mr. Bissey will also speak to attendees of the Pittsburgh Regional HCCA Conference about “What Every Compliance Officer Needs in Their Toolkit.” The session, which runs from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., will cover:
- Resources every compliance officer needs to develop an effective compliance program.
- Methods to overcome obstacles and challenges.
- Potential strategies to achieve success.
NJ HFMA 39th Annual Institute
On October 7, Mr. Bissey will address attendees of the New Jersey HFMA Annual Institute in Atlantic City, NJ. His first presentation will be on the topic of “Physician – Hospital Arrangements –Strategies to Reduce Compliance Risk” from 2:20 to 3:10 p.m.
In this session, he will:
- Cover actions providers can take to develop proactive processes to deal with the risks.
- Cover recent regulatory enforcement actions.
- Share tested strategies to proactively establish compliance and legal activities within your organization to mitigate the potential compliance risks associated with these relationships.
- Assist attendees to prioritize and implement potential strategies for this high-risk area.
Later that day, Mr. Bissey will participate in the discussion panel on “Best Compliance Practices for Identifying and Managing Conflicts of Interests with Vendors and Suppliers to Reduce Risk.” The panel will take place from 4:20 to 5:10 p.m. with Kelly J. Sauders, Partner, Deloitte & Touche LLP, Jennifer Shimek, Principal, KPMG, LLP and Deb Carlino, Director of Healthcare Compliance and Audit, Rutgers University.
The panel, moderated by Mr. Bissey, will address best compliance practices related to vendors and suppliers, including exclusion checks, conflict of interest disclosures, credentialing, quality check and measurement on vendors, etc.
On October 12, Mr. Bissey will address attendees of the HCCA Clinical Practice Compliance Conference in Philadelphia, PA on the topic of “Physician Arrangements – Strategies to Reduce Compliance Risk.” The session, which takes place from 4 to 5 p.m., is co-presented with Michael McKeever, Director Internal Audit, St Peters Hospital.
The discussion will focus on actions providers can take to develop proactive processes to deal with the risks, including includes tips to avoid liability for noncompliant relationships.
On October 25, Mr. Bissey will present on the topic of “The Government Enforcement Official and Chief Compliance Officer – Learned Experiences on Proactive Initiatives to Mitigate and Minimize Risk” at the HCCA Healthcare Compliance Enforcement Institute in Washington, D.C. Co-presented with Alec Alexander, Partner, Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson from 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., the sessions will cover investigations, settlements and other experiences from Mr. Bissey and Mr. Alexander about what could have been done differently.
They will also answer the following questions:
- What is the government looking for from a provider?
- What approach should the provider take in dealing with a government inquiry – DPA or CIA?
- Who should be negotiating the CIA for providers?
- What elements is the government looking to have contained in these agreements?
- How does the government review a Board’s activity and involvement in the program?
- From a compliance officer perspective, what initiatives can be taken to make sure your Board is “on-spot” with its obligations?
A full list of Bret’s speaking engagements for the year can be seen here.